Need more room in your home and just can't afford to buy a new house, typically people would think of putting an addition on. However, how about a more cost effective choice; finising your basement.
Many types of rooms can be made from your unused basement space:
- Wine Cellar
- Home Office
- Media Room
- Home Gym
Basically you can make any room your heart desires. Even do multiple rooms, adding a new kitchen and bathroom.
First thing to consider...Is Your Basement Waterproof? If it isn't you may want to check out this article on waterproofing your basement: http://www.enviroprobasements.com/basement_waterproofing.php.
Additional things to consider while planning your finished basement:
- What type of room(s) do you want
- Do you have enough square footage for your project?
- Time frame of Project
- Plans designed of your finished basement
- Do you need a building permit?
- Where to store items currently in the basement, if any?
- Are there any limitations of your current basement design that will hinder your end result
- Manning the project on your own or hiring contractors?
- Safety Issues
Alot to think about initially! If you hire a contractor to oversee the whole project, all these areas of concern should be covered by the contractor once you have discussed with them your vision of the finished project. Still a good checklist to go over with them to be sure all concerns are covered.
Great site to check out before planning your finished basement: http://www.owenscorning.com/around/bfs/
Working on finishing your basement or have recently done so? We would love to hear from you!
Good Luck With Your Project !
Tags: Finished Basements, Finished Cellars, Home Additions